Skip to Content

What Happens If I Have To Put My Child Into Daycare?

children at daycare

If you are a parent who has recently gone through a divorce, you may need to enroll your child in daycare. This can be an overwhelming experience for any parent trying to adjust to the new normal of being a single parent.

Let's discuss what your options are when it comes to paying for daycare after divorce.

Child Support Order Payments for Daycare Costs

The first thing you should do is review your child support order. Your child support order will typically have an allowance for additional expenses such as daycare or other childcare costs. Make sure these payments are being made according to the court order, and if not, speak with your attorney about getting them enforced.

Most likely, you will need to provide proof of the cost of daycare and evidence that payments are not being made as per the child support order. It is essential that these payments be made before enrolling your child in daycare so that you have enough money to cover their tuition fees.

Adjustments to Child Support Orders

If you believe that you need an adjustment to your current child support order due to increased daycare costs, it is best practice for both parents involved to agree on a fair amount that can then be submitted for approval from the court.

If both parties cannot come to an agreement regarding appropriate adjustments, then one party can file a Motion To Modify Child Support with the court and let them decide on an appropriate payment or adjust their existing child support order accordingly.

It is important that both parties keep in mind what is fair and reasonable when agreeing on additional expenses due after divorce - especially when it comes to providing care for your shared children.

We Do Family Law Differently

Going through a divorce can be difficult enough without having added stress about how to pay for daycare expenses after separation. At Embry Family Law P.C., our attorneys are passionate about guiding our clients to the next chapter of their lives, no matter if you are establishing your "new normal" or requesting a change to your active support orders.

Call us today at (619) 485-6476 to request a consultation with a member of our team and learn more about how we can help you prepare for your next chapter.

Share To: